26 April 2013

Strawberry Massacre

I got back from videoing the women's crew team this morning only to be confronted with a scene of devastation. Ten out of twenty-four strawberry plants were eaten last night. I have been tempting fate by not covering the berries (with the netting that I have that isn't rabbit-grade).  No footprints were evident. So I assume that the light-footed criminal was Leporidae. I spent some time scouring the internet for advice about my plants. I know strawberries are delicate and if stressed might never produce fruit. But every search-string that I came up with offered me advice about how to soothe a house rabbit that had eaten too many berries. I was being mocked by google.

After fuming all day, I noticed that by evening the denuded plants were already pushing out their next leaves -- which is kind of creepy. But that's nature for you.
In other gardening news, I dug up the sod for the last planned bed (foreground). I also covered with black plastic the bed that I plan to sow with corn (midground). The plastic will warm the soil so that I can get the corn started a little early.

I also fixed some of the erosion-bars on a terraced plot and filled them with loam and the last of the compost. 
Now I need to fence the whole thing before the great destroyers come again.

No comments:

Post a Comment